Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sunglasses Part 2

Finishing up the sunglasses!


All the flowers ready to be baked!  You have to be really really careful baking them, the thin petals are so easy to burn.  I recommend baking them at a reduced temperature but for longer.


Spray paint would have been ideal, since it can make a much better reflective gold but I didn't have any.  So I worked with what I had, some gold micro glitter and acrylic medium.  It works okay!  I kind of like the understated shine.


All painted!  You can see here how the ends of the roses ended up.  I didn't want to trim them before they were baked since the chances of ruining a finished flower were incredibly high before baking.  


Instead I just used some wire snips to clip it off!  My flowers were just a tad under baked since I was so scared of burning them, but that's probably for the best anyways since if they weren't a little flexible the petals would start breaking.


Sadly I am a loser and didn't get any photos of my gluing the flowers onto the glasses :(  I'm sorry!  I used Fabri-tac glue, which may or may not have been a mistake.  Ideally super glue or some kind of epoxy glue, but I'm super gently with my sunglasses so I think this will be okay.  I may go in around the edges and add more glue for support.

To glue the flowers I sorted them into pairs of like sizes first, doesn't have to be exact but similar at least.  Then I glued the two largest in the top outside corner on each side.  I then worked one at a time, switching from one side to the other to keep everything even and make sure that I didn't run out of flowers on one side.  I used ten flowers on each side, so twenty in total, but this could vary depending on the size of your flowers!

If anyone makes anything like these I'd love to see them! x)

No comments:

Post a Comment