Friday, October 5, 2012

Bobbin Lace

I found this thing on the internet called bobbin lace and looked it up, and found it just fascinating!  It's a way of creating lace, which is why I learned to tat, and is a pretty antiquated technique these days.  So much so that I had trouble finding much instruction on the internet.

I got a book called 'Beginners Guide to Bobbin Lace' to get me started, and a set of 24 bobbins.  The bobbins were about $15 for the pack off of amazon and I thought 'Oh that'll be more than I ever need!'.  The funny thing about bobbin lace is the sheer number of bobbins needed.  It looks fun and interesting in pictures, but when you have it in front of you all you can think is what a terrible mistake you've made with your life.






I made the pillow out of some leftover packaging foam, a bucket lid, and some fabric.  But any kind of solid foam pillow will work.  It doesn't even have to be round.


The first few patterns in the book I found to be quite easy, and simple to understand.  A few patterns in I got very confused though, and had to seek help through youtube.  I still don't consider myself very good, but if you're interested in trying it I do have some comforting news!  First, there are only two movements: cross or twist.  Every single stitch is a different variant of crossing and twisting.  The second bit of good news is that you only work with two pairs at a time, usually moving one pair across the line.





 Keep in mind that in my photos the bobbins are NOT in any kind of order.  If I were still working on the piece they would all be spread out flat and kept in order.  As they are I tied off the ends and just let the bobbins hang while I took photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment