Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Stringing my loom, part 1

I don't think I'm good enough at this to do any kind of tutorial about it, but I thought it might be nice to show some progress shots of how it usually goes!

I finished the throw blanket project that I had been working on, so I started on this new one!  I had already made the warp, and it's long enough for three scarves.  I usually string my loom front to back, since I don't usually have anyone around to help me, and I can usually manage on my own that way.  If you string it from the back you need someone to hold the yarns while you wind them on.

You usually only use lease sticks when stringing from the back, but I use them since they make me feel less worried about losing the cross.

The cross, as ever, important!


This is how I set the yarn up, with the lease sticks hanging off of the beam, and the lump of chained yarn sitting on the pedals.




I tie the beater to the castle so that it will hang just in the right place for me to reach over it and pull the strings through!  So, I also know how crappy those clamps look on the beater... I bought a 6 dent reed since I was pretty sure sizes were quite standard.  Unfortunately the measurement was off by about half an inch!  So it kept wanting to pop out of the beater, I actually pinched my hand pretty bad trying to get it to work, it was bleeding x(

My solution was to take the screws out, let the top bar slip down a little and clamp it in place since obviously there's no screw hole there.  It works just fine, even if it sure doesn't look right!




Here's the yarn all strung through the reed!  There were so few ends this time, it was practically a pleasure!  There were only 52 ends, and I strung it so that it's 5epi, so every five gaps I would skip one, since it's a 6 dent reed.

Anyways, I'll show you the rest tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment