Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fixing the painting

I did a post recently about a painting that we had brought to Michael's to have framed, and was damaged when the employee removed it.  I'm not saying it was an expensive painting, but an apology or a discount or something might have been nice.

So it was bequeathed to me to try and fix it, or at least make it less noticeable?  My original thought was to do it with acrylic paint, but I decided to start out with pastels since hey, chalk pastels are pretty innocuous and if they don't work no harm done.  They're also pretty easy to control with a brush, and I have a fairly large collection of colors.  Another good point is that it's easy to mix the right color, since if it's wrong you can brush off some of it and add a new color on top, mixing them without really covering up another color.


Well I didn't really want to touch any of the glue, even though it is on the actual painting, since if it was some type of watercolor I could really screw that up.  I don't even know what kind of glue it is.

I started with the green and you can see where I've stopped.  It's a very small area, so it's not like it's going to be the first area the eye sees anyways, but the green is a bit off.  One problem with the pastels is that it's difficult to get a very sharp 'line' with them, so a little bit of it got around the edges of the tears, darkening them too.  So the whole area that I was working on has a slightly darker halo around it.


Almost all the say done!  I did a little more touching up after this, and did my best to clean up around the edges of the area I touched up.  The white chunk you see sitting on it is a piece of a Mr. Clean Magic eraser.  I take them and cut them up into little rectangles like that and use them for projects since they're great for cleaning without any liquid!  It's a micro-abrasive, so you have to be a little bit careful, but it really helped me smooth colors and clean up edges.


Done!  I didn't seal it or anything, so the repair isn't very delicate, but it's going to go under a frame anyways so it's not a big deal.  We'll just have to mention it to the framers not to touch the corner at all...  I don't think the repair is really noticeable unless it's pointed out at least :)

No comments:

Post a Comment