Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mini silkscreening

So I posted about making a Homestuck troll doll, well if you know anything about Homestuck and the trolls you know that they have important zodiac symbols on their shirts!

I managed to make a little shirt, but had to think about how to do the sign, since I wanted it to look good, but very little can look good when quite that small...


So small.

I decided to try mini silkscreen, since it's the best way to get an even looking design onto fabric (besides maybe airbrushing, but that's debatable depending on skill level and paint available).  Instead of using one of my actual screens, I thought what the hell, I'll just make a little one, it's just a frame with some screen over it, simple!

So instead of making an actual mini one, I decided to make a mini disposable one!  I had some extra mat board scraps and screen.  The screen I use isn't actually made for silk screening, I went to Target and bought one white sheer curtain for about $4, and it's probably more screen than I will ever use.

So I just cut a window out of the mat board and hot glued the screen in it!  I did my best to get it tight, but since it's so small it's not too important.  As long as it isn't all saggy or anything!


Next I drew the design I wanted on with pencil.  I drew it on with the shirt underneath so I was sure to get the scale right.


Since this is a throwaway screen I decided to just use Mod Podge to fill it in, since it wouldn't need to come off again.  Mod Podge is good since it's water resistant, which is what you need!

So just paint it on carefully avoiding your drawn design, the point is to fill in the screen everywhere but your design.  So paint won't go through the filled areas that you've painted, but will go through the design!  I hope that makes sense, I'm so bad at explaining it.



I just paint a little square around it, and when it's dry I'll use tape to cover the rest, since I don't feel like painting the whole thing in.


Just wait for it to dry!  I'll finish this up tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment