Saturday, March 3, 2012

Time spent weaving

So I've started weaving on this warp, it's going okay so far!  I mentioned before that the yarn I chose will cause me difficulty since it is a single (as opposed to 2-ply, 3-ply etc), and that makes it more likely to come apart.  This is problematic since to weave, since the threads need to be kept under tension for weaving, but you have to be careful to keep the correct amount.  Too little tension and the threads will get rubbed on too much, too much and they will snap.

My first instinct was to go with really high tension, thinking that they will be a little thinner that way, and it will keep them together?  It was a poor argument, and did not go well, I had three snap during weaving.  So this time I went with a medium/low tension, just enough to let me beat the threads down without them stretching every time I pulled.



I don't know how well this shows the tension, but it's not terribly taut.



I have the harnesses set up to do a basket weave!  I have a four harness loom, and I strung it on a straight draw (1, 2, 3, 4), so I set up my pedals to do 1 2, and 3 4.



Before I can weave I have to even out all of the threads!  Since they're in sort of V patterns from where I tied them onto the rod in groups.  To get them even you open the sheds (the spaces between the threads when you lift up a harness) and put yarn through a few times before beating.  You will have to pull harder on the beater to get all three shots down to the bottom, but it works really well to get things even!


Better, but not great!  Most people recommend weaving anywhere from one to four inches before getting to the real weaving, but I'm lazy so I usually end up just shy of an inch.



Not perfectly even, but since these threads are really thick, it's not much of an issue.  The more you weave the more even they get though.


Getting started weaving!  I bury the ends while I'm working, though there are other ways to do it.


A few inches in!  I have to decide what pattern I'm going to go with, since I have orange and green yarns!


Patten decided!  I made the error of cutting the ends of my yarn when I was burying them.  If at all possible it is so much better to tear the yarn, so that it will taper off and not stick out.  I tried that first but couldn't get it to tear, so I started cutting the yarn, but as you can see it's sticking out!

I thought about it and figured out that if I just untwist the yarn a little and hold it that way while I pull it comes apart easy.  I'll have to go back and fix the first few, but once I switched to tearing the yarn the ends are not a problem!






 More progress!  It'll take a while to finish it though!



No comments:

Post a Comment