Saturday, May 5, 2012

The beginnings of a mold

I make it no secret that I hate making molds.  After putting myself in a situation in which I had to finish 45 molds in one semester I pretty much molded myself out.  I can take it in small doses now, but try to be careful not to do more than one or two at a time.  Screw that professor that said I could pursue a career in mold making.


These are the two tools that I used to make the texture, I don't know what the rubber thing is I found it in a box of colored pencils and kept it.  The other is just a needle tool!



The horns all baked and ready for the beginnings of mold making!


Step one, draw a line through the exact middle!  Without going into very specific details, it's so that I can avoid undercuts.  Since I'm making a two part mold for these I have to be pretty careful about where I place the line where the two halves of the mold will meet, otherwise, since this is a cylindrical object, the horn might get locked into the plaster if more than half is on either side.  If you're interested in mold making there are a ton of great tutorials you can find through google!


 Here's all the supplies I need to make the mold (besides plaster)!
-A flat board like thing to build the base on
-Plasticine, or oil clay
-Vaseline, or some other mold release
-Object to cast!


So here's the base after I made it!  I built the plasticine up around the sides of the horns to the lines I drew marking the halfway point.  I also make sure that there is about an inch of free space around each object.  I was lazy and am making one mold for the two horns, since man do I hate making molds.

I did my best to make it flat, though it doesn't have to be perfect.  The more perfect it is the longer the mold will last, but I can't imagine this one will need to last very long.  I remembered to put in the keys (little round dots) and pour holes, next I have to Vaseline the horns so they'll release and box it up and pour plaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment