Thursday, May 3, 2012

Texture

Well I tried looking at a whole lot of horns through google search and tried to figure out what texture to go with?  I tried to look at goat horns mostly, since according to wiki most things we think of as 'horns' are actually 'antlers' which are a different thing.

So I ended up looking at a lot of goat horns, which have a really kind of subtle texture, kind of like really flaky fingernails?  I kept it in mind, but just wasn't sure how to get it to be quite so subtle.


First I tried just poking lines into it.  Okay, but I wasn't quite sold I guess, something looks wrong.


Tried making it more subtle, made it worse, doh!


Decided on this texture, I carved a line into it, then with a rubber tool I smoothed the lower edge down.  I don't think I'm describing it well, but maybe you can see what I mean?


You can see the difference between the lines that are just carved (upper portion) and the ones that I've smoothed.


Small horn done, large one left to go!  It ended up looking awfully 'wrinkly' once I was done, but I still kind of like it I think.  I also have to keep in mind that it's really going to look different in a more translucent material.

No comments:

Post a Comment