Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Casting in Wax

Well, the mold is finally done!  It would have been better if I had been able to do it without and leaks or problems, but whatever!

I decided to do a cast in wax first, since it's very easy and very quick.  Also, when casting in wax I've heard it's better to have a wet mold, and since the mold was still all wet from being made what better time!  To cast in porcelain you need to have a dry mold, so it would be silly for me to wait for it to dry, cast in porcelain, then wet it and cast in wax?  Not to mention getting molds wet again and again is what causes them to degrade faster.

For the wax I just grabbed a bunch of old candles, I'm sure there's some kind of better wax I could order online that would be more sturdy (or something?).  But this was just a little thing, so candle wax works!

I used a double boiler to melt the wax, since wax can be flammable, so you want to be a little careful, and not leave it alone on the stove! 


I use these large rubber bands to hold my molds together, since I usually work with small molds they don't need a whole lot of tension to keep them closed.  One day I'll invest in some real mold straps.

Once the wax is melted though all you have to do is pour it in the mold, super easy!



I wanted hollow horns, since they would be more translucent, and less heavy.  So all I had to do was keep an eye on the molds until a thick enough shell had hardened around the edges, pour out the excess wax that was still liquid in the middle, and wait for it to cool!

Pictures tomorrow of the horns coming out of the mold!

No comments:

Post a Comment