Sunday, May 6, 2012

I hate mold making

You would think with all of the molds that I've made I would be good at making molds by now?


But it is not so, inevitably every few molds disaster will strike, especially if it's been a while since I've made one.  I was too confident in thinking that just making one very small mold would be easy ^^;


It also doesn't help that the messy room I use for making molds and casting is kind of creepy, so I'm always a little bit on edge in there.  It used to have a window to outside but the previous owner of our house added a tool workshop right onto the side.  So instead of this window looking outside it looks out into a dark, messy workshop.  I need to get curtains, or paint those windows or something...


Plaster, my old nemesis...  At one point in my life I was going through more bags of this than I could buy locally.  25lbs of plaster sounds like a lot, but when you're using it to make molds it goes REALLY fast.  You just need a lot of square inches of plaster to get it done!  You can get these bags at home depot or other hardware stores usually.  But you should try to buy FRESH plaster too!  It makes stronger molds that will last longer.  But unless you've worked with plaster a lot it's probably not a noticeable difference.


Okay make sure to lube everything up!  One day I'll invest in a spray mold release, but for now vaseline is cheap.  You want to put on enough so that everything is very slick, but not so much that you fill in details with it.  I only need to put it on the horns this time around, since I used oil clay it will naturally repel the plaster!


These are molding boards!  They're not too useful for much else, but they're pretty easy to make.  The point of them is that they're easy to clamp together tightly.  My father made these ones for me and varnished them so that they would repel the plaster without me having to vaseline them first.  I usually vaseline them anyways to be sure though.


Here's how they clip together!  You see how?  They clip together this way so that they can be made to fit any dimension mold.  C-clamps are cheaper, but I got these in a pack at the hardware store for like $20 and since I make a lot of molds it was worth it to me.

Be ready for the impending disaster tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment